These bigger than life chocolate chunk cookies are the perfect midnight snack.
Chewy, buttery, gooey, and crispy. These are the qualities I’m looking for in a perfect bakery-style chocolate chunk cookie. Making a great cookie is deceptively hard. If your ingredients are too hot or cold or if you over/under mix them things can go awry. The secret? Chilled dough, a large scoop, and a little bit of oil all help make this cookie my new best friend. Bake up a batch and grab a glass of milk (or a White Russian, it’s quarantine time after all.)
Yields 10-12 big cookies
- 1/2 Cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 Cup canola or neutral flavored oil
- 1 Cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 Cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, at room temp.
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 Cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Cup bread flour
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 Cups assorted chocolate chunks and chips
- pinch of Maldon or coarse sea salt for garnish
- In the base of a mixing bowl place butter, oil, and sugar. Beat until fully combined.
- Add eggs and vanilla and mix until combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- In a separate bowl whisk together flours, starch, salt, and soda.
- Add the dry to the butter mixture and mix until just combined.
- Add the chocolate and mix until just incorporated. I use dark chocolate chunks, large milk chocolate chips, and mini semi-sweet chips. Feel free to substitute some of the chocolate for nuts or other mix-ins.
- Scoop cookies with a 3 ounce scoop onto a parchment lined sheet pan.
- Cover pan with plastic wrap and chill overnight. Once fully chilled you can store uncooked scooped dough in the freezer for up to one month.
- When ready to bake preheat the oven to 375 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Pull the cookies from the fridge while your oven pre-heats.
- Place 4 cookies to a baking sheet and sprinkle a pinch of chunky sea salt in the center.
- Bake for 7 minutes, rotate and bake for another 7 minutes. It’s important to know your oven. If your oven runs hot then lower the temp to 350 F or don’t cook the cookies for a full 14 minutes.
- Remove cookies from oven and cool for 2 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Eat and enjoy!